Wednesday 6 May 2020

Computer science isn't all that scary

The world of computer science is daunting. It’s incredibly fast-paced and innovative, stocked with plenty of brilliant minds pushing to refine code and produce the best technological output possible. We hear about Bitcoin, big data, artificial intelligence and machine learning, among thousands of other buzzwords. We don’t often get a bigger picture of the compassion, creativity and collaboration that is seen in this world — something I have gained from my experience in the computer science department at UNC.

I’m not going to pretend like negative stereotypes of CS and other STEM subjects haven’t sometimes rung true for me. I have been offered a “software engineering vs computer science” of topics for my own understanding, been viewed as less competent due to my interest in other subjects, felt overlooked or interrupted in interviews, been the sole minority in a classroom, spent countless hours missing sleep to finish coding assignments and felt too stupid to ask questions in a classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Significant extension stage with in excess of 35 media transmission organizations

 A main edge 21st Century Enhanced Telecommunications Service Provider, today reported QGlobal SMS has finished months long frameworks and o...